This section covers the typical components of an NMT strategy or policy:
- Vision: An expression of how the city or country plans to improve access and safety for NMT users.
- Goals: Quantitative, time-bound goals for improvements in the walking and cycling environment.
- NMT initiatives: A description of initiatives that cities can pursue to improve the NMT environment, including the expansion of footpaths and cycle tracks; the introduction of bicycle sharing; measures to manage street space, and communications.
- Funding for NMT: Potential sources of support for NMT improvements.
- Agency roles: Roles of specific agencies in implementing an NMT policy.