The Uganda NMT Policy, adopted in 2012, aims to raise the profile of NMT; improve understanding of NMT user needs at all levels of government; and ensure that NMT is incorporated at all stages of infrastructure planning and implementation.
The NMT Policy includes the following objectives:
- Increase recognition of NMT modes.
- Provide safe infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Mainstream the provision of resources for walking and cycling in financial planning.
- Promote the adoption of universal design standards.
- Improve regulation and enforcement.